I Am So Unhappy With My Florida Divorce Attorney, But Have Already Paid Them A Great Deal Of Money. What Are My Options Now?

If you are not happy with your divorce attorney, there are some things you should do, and some things you should not do.

First, since your attorney has already taken your case and become involved in the details, and you have already paid a lot of money, you should try to work things out with that attorney, if possible. Many attorneys do a good job on the actual work of the divorce, but they do a poor job keeping their clients informed on the status of the case. Let your attorney know in writing that you are not happy and what you expect going forward.

If it is absolutely not possible for you to work things out with your attorney - maybe your divorce attorney is refusing to communicate with you, has not started on your case, or there is a serious personality conflict - you need to take action. First, you need to find another attorney. Once you find that attorney, he or she can communicate with your prior attorney to terminate the relationship. You should also seek to recover your money, if the attorney accepted a retainer but did not do a sufficient amount of work on the case. If your attorney has acted wrongfully, you should also let the state bar know by filing a complaint.

One thing you may not want to do is to leave extremely negative online reviews about the attorney. Recently, a Florida appellate court upheld a $350,000 damage award to a Florida attorney whose client posted a defamatory review about the lawyer on several online review sites. The clients who posted the reviews were not truthful in some of their complaints, but you should be wary of saying too much online even if your complaints are valid.


Choose the Most Qualified Attorney
for Your Family Law Case.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Attorney Bernstein Today