Relocation Attorney in New Port Richey

Creating Limits on Relocation for Parenting Purposes in Florida

Florida law recognizes the importance of both parents’ involvement in their children’s lives, even if a divorce or separation occurs. This can create some tricky situations for parents who want to move away after a divorce. Whether it is a job offer out of state or a desire to start fresh in a new city, relocation needs to be part of your parenting plan.

According to Florida laws, if your former spouse has visitation rights with the children and you have custody, you cannot move more than 50 miles away without the other parent’s consent. If your former spouse does not agree, you will have to go to court and present a strong case as to why the judge should allow you to move.

To relocate without consent from the other parent, you will need to show:

  • That the relocation is in the best interest of the children
  • That the children and your former spouse will maintain their relationship post-move
  • That there will be little to no negative impact on the kids or the parent-child relationship

You can also argue that the move is short-term and you will be coming back. However, if you do not return as promised, the other parent can go to court to assert their parental rights.

Need guidance on relocation? Our experienced New Port Richey relocation lawyers are here to help. Contact Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office today at (727) 312-1112.

Managing Long-Distance Visitation Concerns

Sometimes, it is the non-custodial parent who needs to move away. In that case, you and your former spouse will need to plan for long-distance visitation so that the parent-child relationship can continue.

A trusted family member may accompany the children as they travel between parents. You can share the costs or assign them to one party. You can set up regular visits on Skype or webcams, as well as frequent phone calls. You may also choose to have visitation in a large chunk, like the duration of the summer.

The most important aspect is to work through the arrangements with the other parent. If the court gets involved, it is possible that no one will be happy with the outcome. Instead, collaborate with a New Port Richey relocation attorney to set up a parenting plan that works for you, your former spouse, and the kids.

Discuss your visitation and relocation plan today. Reach out to Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office at (727) 312-1112.


  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Caring
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Very satisfied client
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Highly Recommended
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Always fair.
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Court case involving traffic incident
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Aggressive Representation
Prev Next

Choose the Most Qualified Attorney
for Your Family Law Case.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Attorney Bernstein Today