New Port Richey Common Law Marriage Lawyer

Protecting Your Financial & Property Rights Even Without a Marriage Contract

Sometimes a couple will live together for many years and present themselves as married. They may use the same last name, file joint tax returns, buy property together, and more. In some areas, people who act married for a specific amount of time are in a “common law marriage,” and the state considers them legally married.

In Florida, no common law marriages that began after 1968 are valid. As a result, you may find yourself in the uncomfortable situation of living as a married person without the legal protections of marriage.

If you are not married and want to separate from your partner, you risk losing out on:

  • Property and financial protections
  • Social Security benefits
  • Rights of inheritance
  • Rights to accumulated assets

If you entered into a common law marriage in Florida before 1968, or you have a recognized common law marriage in another state and move to Florida, the law will recognize you as married. Otherwise, however, you could lack critical legal protection.

The state may not recognize your living situation as marriage. For help from a qualified New Port Richey common law marriage attorney, contact Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office today.

Handling a Divorce After a Common Law Marriage

The failure of any long-term relationship is very hard to handle, but it can be even worse if you discover that you do not have the legal rights you thought you had. If the state of Florida recognizes you as married, the courts will handle the dissolution of your relationship as any regular divorce.

However, if you were living together but the state does not recognize you as being married, your separation process can be much longer and more painful. You will have to fight for rights to property and finances that the two of you built together. This is why it is essential that you have a skilled New Port Richey family law attorney in your corner. We can help you find your way through this tough time and fight to protect your rights.

Related Reading:

For an appointment regarding your common law marriage situation, contact Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office today at (727) 312-1112.


  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Caring
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Very satisfied client
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Highly Recommended
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Always fair.
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Court case involving traffic incident
  • Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office Aggressive Representation
Prev Next

Choose the Most Qualified Attorney
for Your Family Law Case.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Attorney Bernstein Today