I Am Pregnant And My Husband Is Divorcing Me In Florida. Does He Have To Pay For The Costs Of My Hospital Stay To Deliver Our Child?

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. It can be difficult to have a child alone, and I hope you are able to get some help.

Legally, if you are still married, you can still be on his health insurance plan.

If you get divorced, you can continue on his insurance plan through a federal law called COBRA.

COBRA allows you to continue on your spouse’s insurance plan for up to three years after a divorce.

However, you must pay the entire health insurance premium, which can in some cases be quite expensive.

That may be the best option since you are pregnant. You probably do not want to try to find a new insurer who may not cover the doctors you currently use.

If your husband does not have insurance, the issue becomes a little more complicated. You can apply for Medicaid if your income is below certain levels.

You may also ask for help from your local social services department, and see what options are available for you.

You should consider asking the court for temporary spousal support.

This is an amount the court can award to help you with your bills, and you can ask for money for health insurance or an amount to cover the costs of the birth at the hospital.

You can also ask for child support once the child is born.

If you are in this situation in Florida, you need to consult with an experienced family law attorney who can help you determine the best course of action.


Choose the Most Qualified Attorney
for Your Family Law Case.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Attorney Bernstein Today