How to Modify a Custody Plan for the Holidays

Thanksgiving and winter holidays are just around the corner, and a last-minute request to modify a child custody arrangement could make the holidays more complicated, especially if it’s not granted. Because custody modifications take time, you and your former partner need to find a way to accommodate any last-minute changes.

Here are a few ways to modify holiday custody plans without going to court:

1. Draft an Informal Modification Agreement

Because you and your ex both want what’s best for your child, you can attempt to create an agreement without going to court. This agreement doesn’t need to be in any certain format, but it should include:

  • where, when, and the length of each child’s custody arrangement;
  • which parent is picking up or dropping off the child when exchanging;
  • the date the agreement is made; and
  • each parent’s signature.

2. Include a Provision in Mediation

During a divorce mediation, the mediator will guide both parties into making provisions that anticipate potential problems in the future. In these provisions, there are no limits as to how you and your former partner decide to resolve issues about holiday custody. As such, you have the freedom to decide to alternate custody each year or have a fixed schedule.

3. Involve Your Lawyer

If you and your ex are not on the best terms or either of you are concerned about your custody arrangements holding up, consult a child custody attorney. An attorney can speak with you and/or your ex and help you come to an agreement without putting too much emotion in the matter.

A Custody Lawyer You Can Depend On

Dale L. Bernstein, Chartered Law Office can help you and your former partner modify an existing custody arrangement. Our attorney knows the steps you need to take and will do everything he can to make the process as easy as possible.

Contact our firm online or give us a call at (727) 312-1112 for your consultation.


Choose the Most Qualified Attorney
for Your Family Law Case.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Attorney Bernstein Today