My Ex Is Now Living With Someone - Do I Still Have To Pay Alimony If I Live In Pasco County?

If your former spouse is living with a new partner, alimony may or may not be reduced. It really depends on the facts.

If the type of alimony that was awarded in your case terminates on remarriage, the court could reduce or terminate the alimony if the recipient of the alimony was living with someone in a “supportive” relationship. Simply living with a new partner isn’t sufficient to reduce alimony - instead, the relationship must be “supportive”.

Whether or not the new relationship is a supportive relationship depends on several factors. First, if the new couple have held themselves out as a married couple by using the same last name, or referring to each other as husband and wife, a supportive relationship probably exists.

Courts also look at the length of time the couple has lived together, and if they have pooled their income and assets. If the new couple has an express or implied agreement about property sharing or support, that is taken into account.

If the former spouse or the new partner has provided financial support to the children of the other, that is also considered.

Finally, the extent to which the former spouse and the partner have worked together, or performed valuable services for each other, is also considered by the courts.

Therefore, it is possible for a person paying alimony to get that reduced through a modification in some cases if the recipient of the alimony is being financially supported by a new boyfriend or girlfriend. In order to get the alimony reduced, the individual must go to court and have evidence of the financial support, and the judge may reduce the amount of monthly alimony.


Choose the Most Qualified Attorney
for Your Family Law Case.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Attorney Bernstein Today