I Am Not Married And I Have A Child In Pasco County, Florida - Do I Have To Pay Child Support?

Parents who were not married when a child was born have the same rights to seek child custody and child support as those who were married. However, parents who were not married need to establish their rights through a paternity case.

No matter what your marital status, children are entitled to financial support from both parents. If an unmarried parent, typically the mother, seeks to obtain child support, she must first legally establish paternity. The child’s father may choose to voluntarily comply, or if not, the mother must file a lawsuit to establish paternity. If a DNA test is done and paternity is established, the father will be required to make child support payments just as would occur in a divorce.

If a parent refuses to pay child support, they are breaking the law. The Florida Department of Revenue oversees the Florida Child Support Enforcement Program. The Department of Revenue works with courts, law enforcement, other states, and Florida agencies to enforce child support orders. Noncustodial parents who don’t pay child support as ordered may have their tax refunds or unemployment compensation deducted, or taken from the parent’s paycheck. Also, liens can be placed against assets, or an arrest warrant may be issued.


Choose the Most Qualified Attorney
for Your Family Law Case.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Attorney Bernstein Today