Notice: For your safety due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all meetings and consultations via phone or Zoom until further notice.

What Can I Do In Pasco County, Florida If My Former Spouse Won't Let Me See My Children?

As part of your divorce, you probably entered into a child custody or time-sharing arrangement, also called a parenting plan in Florida. If your former spouse is not abiding by the terms of this agreement, he or she can be held in contempt for failing to follow the agreement. You must file a petition with the court asking the judge to order visitation. If your former spouse refuses to abide by the visitation order, that could be taken into account later by the court in determining future custody rights.

It’s important to know that whatever parenting plan is developed between the parties is mandatory. Parenting plans are contracts that the parents enter into that govern decisions that must be made regarding the child or children. Parenting plans must contain a time sharing schedule for parents and the child or children. The parenting plan may include issues involving the child’s health care, education, and other important matters. Parenting plans must be agreed to by the parents and approved by the court. If parents can’t agree, or if they agree to a plan that’s not satisfactory to the court, the court may establish the plan.

In some cases, a court may appoint a parenting coordinator, or the parties may agree to use a parenting coordinator to reach decisions regarding parenting and custody arrangements. A parenting coordinator can help the parents to create a parenting plan by providing education, making recommendations and making some limited decisions.

If your former spouse is refusing to let you see your children, it’s critical that you contact an attorney immediately. Your spouse can be held in contempt of court for violating a child custody agreement, and you may be able to obtain additional time with your children.


Choose the Most Qualified Attorney
for Your Family Law Case.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Contact Attorney Bernstein Today